February 2018 archive

Goodbye, Hope Hicks. Can we bring the Mooch back now? | Richard Wolffe

Hicks was the sixth communications chief in 13 months of a presidency. There are Italian prime ministers who would be embarrassed by such a short time in office This is a perilous time for Hope. One day she admitted telling “white lies” to spare the president’s orange blushes. But honestly, those lies were never ever …

Continue reading

Family of artist who wrote ‘Snake’ lyrics used by Trump: He’s ‘the living embodiment of the snake’

Since at least January 2016, Donald Trump has twisted the words and meaning from The Snake—“the song tells the story of a woman who takes in a frozen snake she finds on her way to work. After the snake is nursed back to health, it bites the woman and kills her”—into a racist cautionary tale about immigrants …

Continue reading

Father of Parkland Student Who Accused CNN of Scripting Town Hall Admits to Doctoring Emails

There goes Fox News' latest conspiracy theory. Glenn Haab, the father of Colton Haab, admitted on Tuesday that he doctored emails between his son and CNN in an effort to convince people the network told the Marjory Stoneman High School junior what to say during a live town hall last week. The family of a Parkland shooting survivor appears …

Continue reading

‘I wish the president the very best’: Hope Hicks steps down – video

Hope Hicks, the White House communications director and longtime aide to Donald Trump, has expressed her gratitude to the president after announcing her resignation. The White House confirmed news of Hicks’ departure on Wednesday, one day after she testified before the House intelligence committee for nine hours as part of the panel’s investigation into Russian interference …

Continue reading

Open thread for night owls: Major corporations have spent just 6% of tax scam windfall on workers

Jake Johnson at CommonDreams writes—Analysis: Major Corporations Have Spent Just 6% of Tax Cut Windfall on Workers. Guess Where the Other 94% Went. Almost everyone—nonpartisan commentators, economists, and even President Donald Trump’s chief economic adviser—predicted that corporate shareholders and CEOs, not workers, would be the primary beneficiaries of the Republican tax law, and several recent analyses have …

Continue reading

Trump’s Recent Mental Health Pledge Should Have Us All Worried

Click here for reuse options! The president has proven he doesn't care whether mentally ill people have access to guns—or health care. Nearly every single time there is a mass shooting in the United States (an estimated 34 have already happened in 2018, according to the Gun Violence Archive), American politicians perform a mind-numbing script of condemnations, …

Continue reading

From Bannon to the Mooch: the five biggest White House departures so far

As Hope Hicks resigns from the Trump administration, we look back at her fellow fallen stars When Hope Hicks announced her resignation on Wednesday, it was noted that she was Donald Trump’s longest-serving White House communications director. The superlative doesn’t mean much. Trump has had as many communications directors in his first year in office …

Continue reading

Trump administration still won’t say whether it will uphold Obamacare in face of Idaho’s rebellion

An Idaho insurer is moving full steam ahead on a plan to sell insurance policies that do not comply with the requirements set out in the Affordable Care Act. Idaho went rogue last month, with Republican Gov. Butch Otter signing an executive order, in direct conflict with federal law, allowing Idaho insurers to sell policies …

Continue reading

The Reality of Forgiving All Student Debt the Trump Administration Will Never Acknowledge

A new study suggests it could boost the economy and help revitalize higher education. As the Trump administration works diligently to exacerbate the nation's student debt crisis—including efforts to insulate student loan debt collectors from regulations that aim to curtail abusive and predatory tactics—a new study out this month imagines a bold alternative that would wipe out all existing student debt …

Continue reading

Republican tells gun debate Holocaust happened because Jews weren’t armed

Alaska Republican and most senior member of the House cites atrocity during public debate to argue in favour of arming teachers An Alaska Republican and most senior member of the US House argued against gun control by wondering how many Jewish people “were put in the ovens” because they were not armed. Don Young, who …

Continue reading